Friday, November 7, 2008

Like Sands Through the Hourglass...

Why is it that everyone in this world seems to think their time is more important than mine? Perfect example... my boss. It's currently 11 a.m. and I've already been called into his office twice to talk about an upcoming presentation he's putting on that I'm preparing for him. Now I understand that the first "meeting" he was actually telling me things that were useful and that I needed to know. The second "meeting" was to tell me the EXACT same thing he told me in the first one. Um, are you kidding me? That's what I wanted to ask, but I didn't. I just sat there looking at him dully with my arms crossed waiting for him to finish. Now, keep in mind that while he's sitting here reiterating what he's ALREADY told me, there are numerous other things that are currently more pressing than this presentation (which isn't even until next Thursday) and he's keeping me from doing those things. So this makes me even more irritated by it. It didn't help things that when I woke up this morning I was telling myself, "You MUST go to work. You HAVE to go to work. GO TO WORK!! NOW!"

Should it really be THAT hard to get up and go to work? I'm reminded of a book I just finished reading where one of the main characters told her husband that work wasn't meant to be "fun"... if it were, it wouldn't be called "work". Well I don't want my life to be like that. I don't want to get up and go to a job I hate and waste more of my time on bending to some one else's beck and call. Yet, most of us do that on a daily basis. I think it's sad that so many of us are stuck in jobs and careers that we hate simply because we can't afford to do something different. I am very fortunate that in May of 2011 my husband will be out of school and starting a job that will allow me to go back to school and pursue that dream of mine. Whatever that is... I haven't figured it out yet. And who's to say that once I do that and start a new career that I won't be right back where I started? Working for people I don't like or back in the politics of the work place. Life is never a guarantee, I guess.

I spent last night going through albums from my childhood and scanning in pictures for a project I'm working on and I was taken back to that time when I didn't have a care in the world. When your parents took care of you and you didn't have to worry about if you'd have money to buy clothes or food. You didn't worry if you were going to have enough money to pay for the mortgage or to buy groceries or if you were going to have to put it on a credit card because once again some unexpected emergency popped up. Ah, those were definitely simpler times. Where was the class in high school or college that told you that being an adult was hard? That taught you about managing your money or picking the right career for you? I guess we just have to learn from these things that we deal with as adults and make sure that we teach our own children these things so that they don't end up in the same position that we are. I guess that's what my parents always meant by saying they wanted a better life for me than they had. Ok, I really think this has turned into a ramble. :) I'm good at doing that!

The bottom line? I need to be the boss! :)

No comments: