Thursday, November 13, 2008

Christmas in November...

Ok, it is only November 13th and apparently it is already "officially" the Christmas season. Why is it that we can't even make it through Halloween before the retailers are putting up Christmas decorations and doing big countdowns on how many shopping days we have left? Seriously people!

Why can't we just focus on one holiday at a time and then deal with the next one as it comes? I noticed on Monday as I was leaving the office that the management company that owns our building has workers busily setting up the platform in our parking lot for the large Christmas Tree they erect every year and the bushes are already adorned with twinkling Christmas lights. I am already seeing commercials on TV for Christmas decorations at Lowe's. Apparently, according to friends of mine they are already playing Christmas music at Wal-Mart. My husband and I went into Target over the weekend and there were at least 10 aisles dedicated to Christmas decorations up already. I know that Hallmark has had their Christmas ornaments out for months now! Is this ridiculous or what???

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Christmas. I love Christmas music and decorations and giving gifts to my loved ones. I love our Christmas Eve service at church and getting to spend time with my family and my family's family (i.e. - my in-laws and my sister-in-law's family). I love being reminded of the real reason for Christmas - the birth of Jesus. But I still think that we should be able to get through one holiday before we start throwing ourselves into the next one!!

For the first time last night, I saw a commercial on TV that was actually about Thanksgiving. What's that? Thanksgiving? Oh that's the holiday that's in exactly 2 weeks where we gather as families and take time to remember what we are thankful for. What? No gifts are given? Then it's not important to retailers apparently. I might point out that the commercial I saw on TV last night was for Publix (local grocery store). They can do commercials about Thanksgiving because it is a retail bonanza for them. Although I will say the commercial brought tears to my eyes as it showed several families talking about how thankful they were to be together and how much they loved one another.

There are 2 very important members of my family that won't be with us this Thanksgiving... my grandmother and grandfather who've both passed away in the last two years. I'm reminded that while I was always thankful for them in the past, I guess I never really stopped and thought about it that much while they were still with us. I never took the time before, I guess, because I never knew what it was like to not have them around. Now that they are no longer with us, I really take the time to stop and be thankful for those in my family that I am still able to celebrate with.

The point of all this? That this year I will be focusing on Thanksgiving before I focus on Christmas. Christmas can wait for now. I will celebrate Christmas and I will be out on Black Friday just like everyone else, but for now... for now I am focusing on my family and my loved ones and making sure that I tell them all how thankful I am to still have them in my life. Make sure you take the time to remind your loved ones how much you love them and are thankful for them during this "thankful" season.