Monday, January 26, 2009

What Does It Mean to Be Humble?

One of my favorite websites I visit has a bible verse of the day and as I went to look at the site today the verse is: Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up. - James 4:10. This got me thinking. Do I humble myself before the Lord? And what does it mean to be humble before the Lord? I looked up the definition of the word humble and this is what I found: not proud or haughty; not arrogant or assertive; reflecting, expressing, or offered in a spirit of deference or submission.

I think this verse speaks volumes to me today. Have I been approaching God in a spirit of deference or submission? Or more often do I live my days feeling proud of what I'VE accomplished? I think more often than not I end up walking around with a feeling of pride of where I am in life and don't usually take the time to think about the fact that without God I wouldn't have gotten anywhere! I find that usually I only stop and think about God in my everyday life when I'm struggling and calling out to Him for help. I definitely don't want to live that way. I want to be able to walk through everyday and recognize Him in even the smallest details. Today I'm thanking God for speaking to me when I'm not evening listening for Him. I'm thankful for the fact that if I slow down and focus more on life, I won't miss Him in the still moments.

No comments: